When tuning for performance, the segment size can make a noticeable difference. The segment size is the size of each transaction in kilobytes between the disk controllers and each physical disk. This can be changed under Logical Drive -> Change -> Segment Size.
Rules of Thumb:
- Smaller segment sizes allow more IOPS
- Larger segment sizes allow for more raw throughput, but lower IOPS.
- For oracle, with the default 8k segment size, use 8k or 16k segment sizes on the FastT
- For environments with large files in filesystems (especially sequential access) use 128k+ segment sizes
- For web servers or servers with smaller files, use 32k to 64k segment sizes
- For databases in general, try to match the size of each work unit to the segment size