Did you know you can burn a bootable mksysb image from your CDRW/DVDRW capable PC or laptop when the server/LPAR doesn’t have one available? Here’s how:
1. Log in to the server as the root user.
2. Run the smitty mkcd command.
3. Select No from the Use an existing mksysb image menu. Selecting No allows you to create a new system backup that reflects your current running environment.
4. Select the options that are appropriate to your environment from the Back Up This System to CD menu. You can also leave the default options as they are.
5. Select Yes for the Do you want the CD to be bootable option.
6. Select No for the Remove final images after creating CD option.
7. Select No for the Create the CD now option.
8. Press Enter to begin the system backup creation when you finish making selections. When the operation completes successfully, there is a file or files located in the /mkcd/cd_images directory.
9. FTP (binary mode) the ISO backup image to your PC or laptop.
10. Create a bootable CD from the ISO backup image using your CD-burning software
Now you have a bootable CD or DVD created from your PC. its just that easy.